Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Jackie Was the Gift to All Who Knew Her


Very sadly my mom passed away Monday.  She was a dear, sweet woman that everyone loved. I wrote the following blog in honor of her 80th birthday last year. She was one of my faithful blog followers, always giving the gift of her attentiveness to her children and grandchildren, great grandchildren, relatives and friends.

Back in the 1960's my debonair, bachelor uncle, Harry, would send festive boxes from Woodward and Lothrop Department Store in Washington, DC every year on my mother's birthday.  The package arrival would get all seven of us kids into a frenzy until the unwrapping of that year's new hat.  Some had mink trim, one sported pheasant feathers, all were so sophisticated, some so 'Jackie.'

As with any fashion, the era of hats waned.  Weren't we surprised when the boxes in the 1970's arrived with...wigs!  Auburn, black, frosted, short, long, shaggy.  My Mom loved them--Suddenly, she didn't have to wash or set her hair--just stretch on that wig and voila!  One the 'Harry' wigs was so tight, she had to take two Tylenol every four hours.  It surely is better to look good than to feel good!

The 1980's ushered in decades of jewelry as Harry's gift of choice.  Now that NEVER goes out of style!
©9/2011  Jana B Patrick

Mom, you will be missed.

5 comments:

  1. Mom, we all miss her so much, she was such a fun and loving woman. She touched all of our lives.

    And in case you need something to lighten the mood, it is probably okay that she didn't get this latest fashion trend for Christmas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvXXKgHTbE Bye bye toes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unbelievable....I'll stick with my flat, big toed shoes!

      Delete
  2. I just love Gramma's style! (Ryan)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I loved Grandma's style too! I can picture her with the hats and wigs...;) Love you Aunt Jana! You are sweet, just like your mom! You've looked out for me over the years, and I appreciate that! Hugs, can't wait to see you!!-Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my favorite memories with Gramma were going over to her place with the CC and trying on her old jewelry and hats with her. What a wonderful, unique lady!

    ReplyDelete