Tuesday, December 11, 2012

It Must Have Been His Dancing

My parents met on a blind date in 1952. My Dad took one look as Jackie arrived at the University of Minnesota fraternity house, ran upstairs, did a little 'YES!!!' dance, bounded back down and got 60 years of romance started.

This dating tip worked for him(Don't try it. Not recommended.)  My Dad raised grand champion Aberdeen Angus steers as a teen, and for county fair competitions, the animals were brushed to a lustrous, ebony shine.  On one of my parent's first dates, he said, "Oh, Jackie, your hair is as black as an Aberdeen Angus!"  ...And she went out with him again... 

(Technically, I should not exist.)
©12/2012  Jana B Patrick

He misses you lots, Mom!


P.S. I remember when I was growing up, my parents would go out at night, and I would wait up until the wee hours, watching out the window until they came back, safe, home again.  If I had known then that they would have nearly 60 years together, I could have got a lot more sleep.

Jackie: September 1931-December 2012

1 comment:

  1. .I cried. I am still crying...I miss her lots......She was my confidante' and I was hers...........Those confidenses will go to the grave...She was so good for me. When I needed a good push she would give it to me...She was so good to my dear brother, her husband...........I think back to all the appointments for his implant..she never complained, always hoped it would help...Long ago, adear friend of mine that had 12 children, told me , when she found me in tears one day," Gert, tears are a form of prayer."I do believe that..You and your siblings gave your wonderful mother, a fabulous send-off.....She worked hard at parenting and it paid off......love ya Gert

    ReplyDelete