Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sir Schmuck

(This is Part 1 (of 5 parts) of a 9th grade paper explaining feudalism written by my daughter a several years ago.  It cracked me up, so I am sharing)

By Lauren Patrick ©2005  

            My name is Sir Schmuck.  I am a knight living in France.  We are in the year 1234; four years after I acquired my beautiful manor and manor house which I like to call “Schmuck’s Shack.” 
            I can see the muddy hills rolling on endlessly, until they fade into haze.  The land is not all mine, though I wish it were.  Baron Birdbrain gave me this fief, all eleven soggy fields, and now I am his vassal. 
When we made this deal, we had an investiture, a ceremony when Birdbrain gave me my land, and in return I pledged him my loyalty. King Charlemagne started this system of government, which we call feudalism, about 400 years ago. It is based upon landholding in exchange for military service.  Here and everywhere, local government is more important than national.  Let me explain…    
It is my duty to answer any of Monsieur Birdbrain’s calls for help.  I have fought along side him, defending his manor, too many times to count.  Two years ago, dear Birdbrain was captured by Barney “Buff” Baron and none but yours truly was there to pay the ransom.  I admit, sometimes I get burned out on all the fighting, and I just want to take a nap in the “Shack.”   But I know that I am obligated to give the Brain my loyalty, because of what he gives me in return.
My land is my most important and valuable possession.  Some days however, even though I know I shouldn't  I feel a little sorry for myself.  My mud hole is minuscule compared to the Brain’s.  But when I stop to think, I know that I am luckier than most.  Baron Birdbrain protects me from invaders and gave me the land I am building my life on.  Because of this land, I am able to profit. 
I have about 50 serfs.  They farm the sludge and pay me taxes, and I give them permission to stay on my land.  Pretty good deal, if you ask me.  In the future, I hope to become vassal to more barons, earning more land.  Once I have enough land, maybe I can even become a baron myself, and have my own vassals.  I can hope, at least.  

2 comments:

  1. Where can I get some vassals? lol CW

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a good writer! Must take after you!! Lynne

    ReplyDelete