Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Its a Small World Afterall

A few weeks ago our family was at a remote fishing resort in Canada nestled on an island no bigger than an acre. We especially felt what a small speck on the Earth we were as a few of us guests observed the International Space Station on its lonely orbit across the indigo, star studded Canadian sky.   The group got talking and a man from Utah said he used to live in Minnesota and had worked for Dayton's Department Store. Turns out he had had the exact job as I did three years before me as a sales manager of Housewares at Brookdale, one of 13 Dayton's stores...What a small world!.


I recall being in Europe as a young person and waiting for a Heineken Brewery tour in Amsterdam.  I said to my friend, Dianne, "Wouldn't it be something if we ever run into Jeanne McGuire? Her family is traveling in Europe somewhere."  I felt a tap on my back from the person behind me in line.  "She's right over there," her brother laughed and pointed out my college friend. (Admittedly, the fact that it was a beer tour helped boost the odds of this happening.) 


"What a small world!" stories are usually fun.  That is not always the case.  I recall going to a new gynecologist who had me in a compromised position when he said, "You look really familiar."  
 ©2011  Jana B Patrick



2 comments:

  1. Funny! You have to do stand up comedy one of these years!!! Betsy

    ReplyDelete