Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Random German Musings

     To my followers in Germany, thanks for reading!  I have a question for you. Yours is such a guttural language--how would one woo someone there?  " I love you and want to spend the rest of my life worshiping you,"  translates to: "Ich liebe euch und mochte den rest meinew lebens verbringen sie niederzuwerfen"  Sadly, this is NOT lovely or romantic. In fact, it sounds like one is discussing a carburetor.
Never mind the spit flying.
     Germany, however, is a lovely country which I visited with my friend Dianne when we were 22.  I still have a glass mug from the Hofbraeuhaus in Munich.  I still feel guilty about this theft.  We tied our sweaters around our waists with the large mugs tucked inside and held another mug out in front of us.  As anticipated, the decoys were confiscated as we whisked through the door while retaining our prizes.  How many mugs are absconded each year? How many people still feel guilty after 33 years? Maybe I should return mine in person...
     Getting to Munich in the first place had been...interesting.  We were in northern Germany and heard that Munich was way down south somewhere and decided to get there via a boat travelling down the Rhine River. One meets a lot of people while travelling thru Europe and this cruise proved no exception.  When our new friends asked us our destination, they looked confused and asked why we were traveling DOWN river.  Apparently the Rhine flows NORTH...away from Munich...eight hours away in our case.  A map was not part of our belongings and we realized after getting home that we had zigzagged all over Europe.
I'm sure glad Deutschland happened to be in our way!         ©2011  Jana B Patrick

©8/2011  Jana B Patrick

6 comments:

  1. I liked the cute pix to go along with your story! I had a wonderful time in Germany long ago too...thanks for bringing back the memories. See you Friday. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the additions of pictures! Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way tooo funny!!! I could go for a beer after seeing that photo!!!!Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that one pic is from Germany...but from Senior Send Off at St. Thomas from 1979.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jana-- when we were in Munich, we went to both the Hofbrauhaus proper and the biergarten it sets up at the Rathaus/Glockenspiel on the weekends... At the HBH, the mugs cost 20 Euros, so there was NO way I was gonna buy one as a souvenier... That is, until we went to the biergarten at the Rathaus. 5 Euros got us a nice, cold one in a mug!!! And, when you returned it, you got a few Euros back.... That got us thinking.... why return it??? So, for a quarter of thh price, we got our mugs AND had them filled with schmecktes Bier, too!!!

    I'm glad you had a good time-- I'll try to get the rest of my pics onto Facebook this week, and we can exchange stories!!!~

    ReplyDelete