Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Chicken Dance

        
Last October our son Ryan’s family was going to be celebrating a wedding on his wife's side with three members of Ryan’s family in the wedding party.   Getting ready for the out of town trip was a mixture of chaos and anticipation with having 20 and 5 month old sons, a house guest,  renting tuxes, fitting dresses and all the last minute plans and preparations.  I decided to make a few meals for them.  I called our daughter-in-law, Caroline, and told her that I just bought two chickens and would like to give her one.  There was a very long pause on the other end of the line and then,  “You’re going to give me a chicken???” 
I laughed, “A DEAD one, Caroline!  I’m gonna cook it for you!”   
She laughed and said, “You scared me! A chicken running around would be about the last thing I would need right now!!"

Caroline’s email message the next morning:   “ I am still recovering from the horrifying image I got of chicken's flying around my house!!!!!! HAHAHA  LoL”

 It’s almost Easter.  I wonder how I can help them out.  Hmmmm...  
Baby chicks?  A bunny?  A fuzzy little duckling?  Or just a plain old tuna casserole?  

Happy Easter!
p.s.  In Caroline's defense, it really wouldn't be out of character for me to do something like giving her a real, clucking, feathery, egg-laying, chicken...But I promise not to!
©10/5/10  Jana B Patrick

7 comments:

  1. I have been nursing Stephen for about 3 hours now.... And I opened your blog...3 hours ago... I AM STILL LAUGHING!!! I for sure remember this conversation- Oh man, I won't forget it either! Adding a chicken to my life that week would have done me in! haha Thanks for having me be the Easter story-- GREAT LAUGHS.
    And, to continue to be clear... we are still not in the business of any live animals at this Patrick house. :)
    ahhh, good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha this is a good one, I like the post script :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny....I had images of chicken flying around too! Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see Caroline taking it that way. Very funny!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for a nice belly laugh as usual!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very funny one!!! And, as Jana points out, not out of character, either! Thanks for the laugh! JL

    ReplyDelete
  7. funny, skater chick.

    ReplyDelete