Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Hint of Mint

I got such a craving for an ice cream Christmas tree.  The desire, coming out of nowhere, required immediate action.  I was painting our office and had to put the brush down, ran to the kitchen, tore open the box that I bought for the college kids, ahem, and devoured a soft, sweet, minty tree.  I just had to have it and the satisfaction was sublime.  This was a craving not to be confused with requited cravings earlier in the day:  The toffee, the chocolate turtle, the toffee, the turtle, the truffle.  I might have also craved moderation but I never could find any.

The delicious soft green tree reminded me of when I worked in the kitchen of a Minneapolis nursing home in high school.  One holiday season my coworkers and I brought several boxes of ice cream Santas, trees and wreaths to the lunchroom.  While nursing their cigarettes, the nurses at the nearby tables gave us withering looks as we commenced our contest.  I believe I won, stuffing more ice cream treats in my mouth faster than anyone else.  I am still proud of this.  
 
I realized after eating my lone Christmas tree that my office still needed painting, ambled back in and began loading the brush with the mint green paint...
©2010, Jana B. Patrick           

No comments:

Post a Comment