Thursday, April 18, 2024

Swiping Right


I saw him across the bar.  Mr. Right.  I pointed to him telling me friend, "THAT guy could make me forget about ____" (I did forget!)  Mr. Right saw me turning my beer into a Polish martini, walked up behind me and said, "I saw you steal that olive."

Steve and I dated for a year when he popped the question.Romantic?  Not even close.  It was April and the North Stors were in the Stanly Cup playoffs which we were watching at my apartment. Steve said, "Do you think we should get married?"   .....then, "They SCORED!!!!!"  After lots of cheering, replays and commentaries, a commercial came on.  Steve:  "So, .....what were we talking about?"  (Just KIDDING!)

We married at the University of St. Catherine chapel on Friday, September 21, 1984.  (Hint, hint kids, 40 years!)  Our reception was at the Ft. Snelling Employees Club with $7.50 chicken entrees, juice glasses with candles and purple crepe paper streamers on the tables. Live band!

I designed my 'art deco' wedding dress which my sister Julie finished sewing on about September 20th. It was skin tight but I won the Limbo without any wardrobe malfunction.  Steve was such a good sport to wear the white tux with tails that I thought would be such a good look.  (He's still rolling his eyes, but he's also done his best to make me happy for 40 years now!)

My mom's cousin Joni lent us a gorgeous, sleek, vintage Art Deco porcelain bride and groom cake topper.  Being unseasonably warm, the cake kind of melted as the bakery transported it with the cake topper falling off and shattering.  No worries.  They stopped at a Hallmark store to buy a $1.99, plastic bride and groom:  Remember Precious Moments with the BIG EYES??

Steve and I jetted off for a Hawaian honeymoon.  I can still see the full moon over the sparkelling black ocean with my man at my side.

Forty lovely years.

No comments:

Post a Comment