Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Zumba For Dummies

I don't think they make ice packs large enough for all of my body parts that hurt. My St. Paul gym offered a 'Zumba' class tonight so I thought, "Why not?  It might be a good aerobic workout--whatever Zumba means." I guessed it meant we would zoom around the room a little.

Not quite so.  It is Latin dancing on steroids.  My hips do not do Latin dancing. I am built anatomically incorrect.  ---After all, my ancestors did the Polka.  The instructor, a young, energetic woman with hips that gyrated like a set of hyperactive maracas, was built for such movement. She was amazing.

I was at least two decades older than most of the participants who will likely go about their day tomorrow as if tonight's torture had simply energized them.  I, on the other hand, will appreciate why older people like homes with no stairs and use walkers.     
(P.S.  It really was fun--if you are into pain and humiliation in any small way.)
©9/2012  Jana B Patrick

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Zumba. I just went to a class yesterday!
    What are ya talkin about you can't do it? - we all still remember you doing the limbo at your wedding. Okay, okay, that was 25 years ago! D

    ReplyDelete