Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Eating Mold Spores

My daughter, Lauren, asked, “Why would anyone consider this food?  Who ever thought of eating it in the first place?!” She thinks broccoli looks just like mold spores.  Even though I made the kids eat it almost every week of their lives, it doesn't seem to ever catch on. 

I  Googled the vegetable online and one site said, “There are actually many different delicious ways to prepare the vegetable with the alluring green stalk and bushy top.”   See, Lauren?  I just haven’t found out those many different delicious ways.  I’ll work on it.

Botanically speaking, broccoli belongs to the cabbage family.  I’m afraid that kinship won’t help sell Lauren on the concept of eating the alluring green vegetable.

Here’s why you SHOULD eat broccoli:  High in vitamin C and vitamin A(Beta-carotene); good source of calcium, potassium, folic acid; fiber-rich;  helps prevent Alzheimer’s, diabetes, cancers, arthritis, aging, cataracts, heart disease and helps control high blood pressure and because your mom said so.

Here’s why you SHOULD NOT eat broccoli:  Looks like mold spores.


I love you, Lauren!
©2011, Jana B. Patrick           

1 comment:

  1. I can totally hear Lauren saying this...with that being said, she doesn't know what she's missing!

    ReplyDelete